Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lawyers and their Hoops


The correlation between good physical health and being productive at work is no new fad. Many doctors and researchers attribute alertness, mental health, less illness and of course physical health to an active physical routine.

The law firm I work at recently joined a city basketball league. Its a ten week program once a week played at local school gyms consisting of 20min each half. Here is the link for our city's activities. Check your city's website or your local Y. Needless to say we have our work cut out for us. (Some teams have been playing together for yrs). Its going to be great to see how the team comes together and we bond at work. Just this morning I can hear the camaraderie among those who played last night.

Some might say I cant join a team, well if you sign up for some thing it is more likely for you to train for it than not. I signed up for my first Tri and I was motivated. Now for my first toughmudder competition in SoCal am trying new programs like crossfit and basketball leagues to get me ready for the challenge.


Now how can this help me in my law practice you might ask? Well read what Julie Boehlke says in her article:
“One way that exercise can help boost productivity at work is through alertness. When you exercise, you are also increasing blood flow to the brain, which can help sharpen your awareness and make you more ready to tackle your next big project.”
Continue reading here (great breakdown on the benefits of working out)

Here is another excerpt from Larry Port’s Article: "Why Lawyers Should Run a Triathlon or 5K in 2012"
“Lawyers, like other professionals, work better and
clear a higher profit when they make better decisions.”

So if you are a working Professional try starting a work team or find a partner to do a Spartan Run or sign up for a triathlon!

Let me know if you do on my Facebook. And remember no one has ever drowned in his or her own sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment